Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The Literary Yard - Why I Ate So Much

Many thanks to The Literary Yard for featuring my story today!

Here's the link:
https://literaryyard.com/2020/05/13/why-i-ate-so-much/

Here's the story if you don't want to use the link:


Why I Ate So Much
I never did figure out where the voices were coming from, but they were there, that was for sure, day and night, whispering, "Feed us. Feed us, now."
So I did. Boy, did I ever.
I was fifteen and Mom just thought I'd hit a growth spurt.
A typical day: a dozen pancakes for breakfast. A mid-morning snack of five candy bars. A hot lunch at school plus the bag lunch I'd brought. Then a stop at the fast food place on the way home for large fries, large shake and a couple of quarter pounders. Just enough to tide me over until I got home.
"What's for dinner, Mom?"
"Spaghetti. Your favorite."
"Fabulous," I told her, although at this stage of the game, anything I could put in my mouth was fabulous. One helping. A second helping. Dad sitting there with his mouth hanging open, watching.
I ask him, "Can I finish that?" and point.
"Sure," he says, as I clear his plate before the word is barely out of his mouth.                 
I wasn't growing or putting on weight, just eating. A lot.
 After a few months Mom became concerned. "Let's take you to the doctor."
"Aw, Mom. No."
A steely look. "What'd you say?"
I re-think my position. "Sure, Mom. Good idea."
Doctor Solsvik was a kind man. We talked. He checked me over. Finally, he felt my abdomen. "Good lord," he gasped. "Let's get you to x-ray."
End result: I had a tapeworm. Two of them, actually. Big ones. How they got there no one knows. But the doctor operated and now I'm back to normal. "Eating like a horse," Mom says.
"I'm a growing boy," I joke, because I'm pretty sure those tapeworms are gone. At least that's what they tell me.
           
           

No comments:

Post a Comment