Monday, June 8, 2020

Writers and Readers Magazine - Alan's First Meeting

Greetings!
My story is published in this issue starting on page 76. The link is hard to use. Here's the story posted below:

Alan's First Meeting
The Upper Midwest chapter of Slothoholics Anonymous met twice a month at the home of Jerry Butler, the head of the chapter. The house was a small non-descript rambler befitting the general demeanor of the four regular attendees. When Alan Kershaw first decided to attend it took him until his third attempt to finally ring the door bell. Like most people dealing with his affliction, making a commitment was hard.
            The door was opened by a cheerful woman. "Hello. I'm Emma, Jerry's wife. Nice to meet you."
            "Hi. I'm Alan."
            He was suddenly tongue-tied and could feel sweat forming in his arm pits. He wasn't sure he was ready for this, getting together with people like himself, people addicted to what those in the medical profession called Sloth-Like Behavior. But his doctor had recommended this particular group after what happened a few months earlier, and he knew he needed to give it a try. After all, his dad had almost been killed.
            Emma seemed to sense his distress. She gave him an encouraging smile, took his coat and hat and led him into the living room where a tall man with a closely trimmed beard rose to meet him.
            "Hi, there. You must be Alan."
            "Hi. Yeah, I am."Alan crossed the small space and they shook hands.
            "We've got a chair over there for you. Have a seat. Make yourself comfortable."
            Four people were already seated. Alan went to the folding chair and carefully sat down, thankful it supported him. Over the years he'd put on a few pounds, extra weight he was now very self conscious of.
            He glanced around the room. Jerry was across from him, studying a clip board. To Jerry's right was a small man, nervously playing with his bolo-tie. He had short brown hair and was dressed in a white snap button shirt and blue jeans. Next to him was a large man, bigger than Alan, who was wearing black sweat pants and a black sweat shirt. Even from a distance, Alan could see food stains on his massive stomach. Next to him, and to Alan's immediate right, was a woman about his size with short cropped dark hair who wore a billowing red floral dress. He detected a light herbal scent on her which he found quite pleasant. To his left was a thin young man who looked to be in his early twenties, by far the youngest person in the room.
            "All right, then," Jerry said, setting his clip board aside. "Let's begin." He looked around to make sure he had everyone's attention. "Before we have our newcomer introduce himself, let's check in." He looked at Bolo Tie. "Ed. How was your week?"
            Ed sat up, quit fiddling with his tie, and said, "It was good. I was able to get two things accomplished from my to-do list. I cleaned my bathroom and took out the trash." He smiled and looked around the room.
            Black Sweat Suit harrumphed and said, "That's it?" He shook his head derisively at Ed and looked at Jerry. "I actually cleaned my refrigerator, organized my dresser and replaced some burned out light bulbs."
            "That's wonderful, Randy," Jerry put up his hands in a supplicating manner, "but dial it back with Ed. Remember, everyone's safe here. No negative opinions."
            Randy blushed and immediately apologized, "Yeah. Right." He looked at Ed. "Sorry about that."
            "Apology accepted," Ed acknowledged with a nod, and then went back to fiddling with his tie.
            Next to him, Red Floral Dress was quiet. The entire room looked at her, even Alan. She said, "I'm sorry, Jerry. I...I...I didn't..." Then she started to cry.
            Alan fought back an urge to comfort her, pat her on the shoulder or something. Since he couldn't remember the last time he had touched a female, he decided against it.
            Jerry was quiet for a moment and then said, "That's okay. Mary. We'll just move along." He turned to the young man on Alan's left. "Larry? How was your week?"
            Larry smiled. "Just fine, Mr. Butler, I mean, Jerry. " He laughed nervously and looked at Alan. "I'm kind of new here." Join the club, Alan thought to himself. He averted his eyes as Larry proudly stated, "I drove the car with my mom to the grocery store. First time in years."
            There were audible gasps throughout the room. Everyone was impressed and congratulated Larry. Jerry added, "That's wonderful news. A real accomplishment."
            Larry beamed a smile. "It was. It felt great."
            Jerry consulted his clip board. "And cleaning your room? How'd that go?"
            Larry went quiet for a moment, then shook his head, "Not so good."
            "Why was that?"
            "Um. I guess I got hung up on my video games."
            At the sound of 'video games' Alan's ears perked up, and he glanced at Larry. He was a gamer from way back.
            "Again?" Jerry asked.
            "Yeah. Sorry."
             "Fortnite?"
            "Yeah." Larry lowered his gaze as well as his voice. "Sorry."
            Jerry was adamant, "No 'sorrys' here. Remember, Larry, We're all trying to do better."
            "Yes, sir," Larry said, keeping his eyes down.
            "Okay, let's move along." Jerry made eye contact with Alan. "How are you doing?"
            "Fine, I guess." He paused and motioned around the room. "It's a lot to take in."
            Jerry smiled, encouragingly. "I know. But you're here and that's the main thing. It's a big first step."
            Alan blinked rapidly, removed his glasses, wiped them off and put them back on. "You know the hospital pretty much ordered me to come here, don't you?"
            Jerry motioned to his clip board. "I know. Don't worry Alan. Everyone is here for a reason. Good ones. Just tell us your story. I promise you'll get a lot of support.
            "Okay." He looked around the room, took a deep breath and let it out. "Hi. My name's Alan," he began. He wasn't used to talking. To anyone. He took a sip of coffee that Mary had brought to him and continued. "I'm thirty-five years old and used to live with my father in a small bungalow in West St. Paul. Mom left us and took my little sister Jane when I was ten."
            Jerry interrupted and spoke softly, "Tell the group why they left, Alan."
            "Yeah, well...," He stopped talking, thinking, This is when I should just leave. But he'd made an agreement with the doctors. "This is embarrassing, but I guess that's why I'm here." He cleared his throat, "Mom left because Dad and me were what she called 'Lazy, shiftless idiots,' except she used stronger words than those. She actually called us assholes." Alan grimaced. "'Lazy, shiftless, assholes.' Not a very nice thing for a mother to say to her husband and son."
            "Did you and your dad deserve to be called that, Alan?" Jerry asked gently.
            "Not so much Dad, but I was especially bad. As far back as I can remember I really didn't care about anything. Mom tried to interest me in things she liked doing. She enjoyed gardening so she had me help her dig in the dirt and plant flowers." He shuddered and was surprised when a few of the others laughed.
            Jerry  smiled and motioned to Alan. "Go ahead. You're doing great."
            "She'd ask me to help around the house, vacuuming or washing dishes or even taking out the trash, but I couldn't be bothered. I just didn't feel like doing any of those things."
            Jerry asked, "What did you feel like doing, Alan?"
            For the first time since he'd started speaking Alan became animated. "Video games," he said, smiling. "I loved playing video games. Mortal Kombat and Brain Dead were my favorites.  I had no desire to make friends because all I wanted was to be in my room by myself with my games."
            Next to him, Larry asked, "You played on line?"
            "Not back then, just at my console. But later, yeah, I did. I found that I liked being anonymous and not being around people."
            "Cool," Larry said.
            "Go ahead and continue, Alan," Jerry said, giving Larry a sharp look.
            "Yeah it was cool. I went to school and played video games. That's all. I put on weight. I fought with my mom when she asked me to do stuff. I fought with my dad, too. Mom and Dad started fighting about everything: me, his job, her job, even my little sister who started staying out late and getting into trouble. Finally Mom left home when I was a senior in high school and took Jane with her. I got a job working at the Quik-Trip nearby so I could walk to work. Dad kept his job as a mailman and with my job we could make ends meet."
            "Did you help out your father at all?" Jerry asked. "Around the house?"
            "That's a real sore spot because, no, I didn't. I kept up the same behavior I had with Mom and didn't do anything around the house. I just walked to the Quik-Trip and walked home and played video games."
            "I get that," Larry said, receiving another stern look from Jerry.
            "Over the years trash kept accumulating inside. Dad couldn't keep up and I was too lazy to help. I'm surprised someone didn't call the police."
            Jerry interjected. "They almost did, Alan. It says here in the police report."
            "Well if they had, maybe what happened wouldn't have happened."
            By now everyone was on the edge of their seats.
            "What happened?" Larry asked.
            "The house caught on fire and Dad almost died."
            Stunned silence filled the room. Alan's face turned beet red. Perspiration drained out of his body like a sprinkler system. He glanced at the front door, thinking, I should make a run for it.
            "Alan," Jerry said in a soothing voice, "in spite of the fire, you're okay, and your dad's okay. That's the important thing. But it'll be good for you to tell us what happened that day. All right?"
            Alan closed his eyes to gather strength and then continued. "Our home was a little smaller than this one. I was in my bedroom playing Fortnite Battle Royale when in the background I heard the smoke alarm go off. It was in the back of my mind that Dad should do something about it. I kept gaming for another ten minutes and the whole time the beeping from that alarm never quit. I kept wondering where the hell Dad was because he should be taking care of it, like put a new battery in it or something. I couldn't be bothered to do it myself so I played on, getting madder at Dad for not doing something to stop that damn beeping.
            "Finally, I started coughing. I pulled myself away from the monitor and looked around. My room was filled with smoke and it finally dawned on me that something was really wrong. I got to my feet, mad at Dad for not taking care of things and making me do it. When I touched the door handle of my room it was so hot I had to use an old shirt from off the floor to open it."
            Alan stopped and looked around. Everyone was staring at him. "Go on," Jerry said.
            Mary had brought him some more coffee. He gratefully sipped it and continued, "With the door open I saw the hallway was filled with thick smoke and flames were burning in the living room. My first thought was to save my computer." He looked at the faces staring aghast back at him. "Yeah, save my flippin' computer, not even thinking about my dad."
             Next to him Larry emphasized, "I know what you mean, though, man. I kind of get it."
            Alan was grateful for Larry's comment. "Yeah, but really, it was not good. When I realized that I didn't know where my dad was I ran into his bedroom. He wasn't there. I checked the bathroom. Not there either.
            "By this time the living room was nearly engulfed in flames. All the crap we'd let build up in there was burning like crazy. I hurried toward it and saw Dad passed out on the floor in the doorway leading from the living to the kitchen. I fought through the smoke and flames and grabbed him and carried him out the back door to safety.
            "Once outside I could hear sirens in the distance. Someone had called 911. The neighbors came and helped. The ambulance arrived and took us the hospital. I had superficial scratches. Dad was treated for burns and smoke inhalation."
            "What happened to the house?" Ed asked.
            "It was destroyed. We lost everything."
            "Even your computer?" Larry asked.
            "Yeah. Even my computer."
            "Bummer."
            Randy in the black sweat suit exclaimed, "Good lord. Was that the big fire a few months ago in St. Paul?"
            "Yeah."
            "I could see flames from where I live in Eagan."
            "Yeah. Everyone could see it," Alan said and lowered his head. "It was massive."
            Jerry took over. "Alan's Dad is recovering in a home for burn victims. He's going to be fine, right Alan?"
            "Eventually, yeah. His lungs are pretty scared but he'll be okay."
            "Where are you living now?" Mary asked.
            Alan coughed nervously.
            "It's okay," Jerry said, compassionately. "Go ahead."
            "My mom heard about the fire and contacted me. First time I'd heard from her in over twenty years. She'd moved out west to a little town about twenty miles from here. She's got a small house and she works as a cashier at the local hardware store. My sister lives nearby and has a job at a dry cleaners. Mom told me I could stay with her as long as...As long as I don't go back to my old ways."
            "What's that mean?" Larry asked. "No gaming? Man, I'm not sure I could do that."
            "It's more than that," Alan said. "But, yeah. Sort of."
            "Geez, that sucks," Larry said, and then looked at Jerry. "Sorry."
            Jerry said. "Actually, that's part of why we're all here, right? To figure out how to live a better life and not give in to living like a sloth, being lazy and never doing anything for other people. Like we've talked about, Larry, there's more to life than video games."
            "That's right," Alan nodded his head. "Mom said I could stay with her if I helpped out around the house, doing things like she asked me to do when I was a kid. I'm trying. I'm really enjoying being with her and getting to know her. I even see my sister, too. She's married and has two little girls. They're adorable." Alan smiled for the first time all evening.
            "I think Alan's story is one we can all relate, too, right?" Jerry looked around the group. Everyone nodded in agreement.
            Randy said, "I certainly can." He looked at Alan. "I lost my job."
            Ed said, "Yeah, my marriage fell apart."
            Mary spoke up. "I live in a crummy apartment in north Minneapolis all by myself." She motioned around the room. "You are all my best friends and I only see you twice a month. Even with that it just about kills me to make the effort to take the bus to get here."
            "But you're trying, right, Mary?" That's the important thing. It wasn't Jerry who said it, but Randy in the black sweat suit. He looked at her and smiled.
            Mary averted her eyes, but Alan thought he detected a slight return smile to Jerry on her lips.
            Larry added, "Maybe you and I could start gaming together, man. I love Fortnite."
            Alan wasn't prepared for such an outpouring of support. He was speechless and couldn't say a thing.
            Jerry interjected, "Let's let Alan relax for a minute while we talk about the outing we have planned to go to Como Park Zoo. But before we do that, I'm going to put Alan on the spot."
            Alan's ears perked up and he started turning red again. He'd spilled his guts and told his story. It was bad, not as bad as he thought it was going to be, but he needed to be alone and processes it all. Maybe play some Fortnite Battle Royale. Then he thought of Larry. Play with him sometime? It had possibilities. Maybe.
            Jerry asked, "Alan, all I'd like to know is this: Do you think you'll come back in two weeks for our next meeting. We'd love to have you."
            Everyone in the group nodded. Yeah, it'd be great to have you here, was the general consensus.
            Alan liked that he could talk to Jerry and the four other people in the room. After he got over his first initial fear, being with other people wasn't so bad. He enjoyed Larry even though he was much younger. They had a love of gaming in common.
            But he had to learn to get out of his head and out in the world more. He'd gotten a job at the local Pump and Go station near his mom's home so that was good. And his mom said that as long as he helped out around the house he could stay as long as he wanted. He loved getting to know her again.
            Alan cleared his throat and asked, "You guys meet every other week?"
            "Yes," Jerry said. "Right here."
            "My mom dropped me off tonight but she might not be able to take me every time," Alan said, wanting more than ever to come back.
            Next to him Larry offered, "That's okay. I've got a car. I can drive you."
            Alan took in a deep breath and let it out. Was he ready for this? Ready for his life to move forward after all these years?
            He was. He turned to Larry, and said, "Thanks, man. I'd appreciate it."
            Jerry beamed. "In that case, welcome to Slothoholics Anonymous, Alan. You're now one of us."
           
           

No comments:

Post a Comment